Rensselaer takes the threat of an active shooter seriously. As part of our continuous efforts to educate the campus community on crime prevention and emergency preparedness, we encourage you to particapte in Active Shooter Training.
The ‘Run. Hide. Fight.’ model is considered a best practice in crisis response, particularly in the event of an active shooter situation.
- Have an escape route and plan in mind.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Keep your hands visible.
- Call DPS or 911 or use the Guardian App when you are in a safer place.
- If you can’t escape, hide in an area out of the shooter’s view, and behind something solid if possible.
- Block entry to your hiding place and lock the doors.
- Silence your cell phone and other devices.
- Fight only as a last resort, when you feel that your life is in imminent danger.
- Attempt to incapacitate the active shooter.
- Find an object to use as a weapon, such as a fire extinguisher or chair.
- Work as a team with someone else if possible.